Tuesday, August 10, 2010

an air freshener in your mouth

My colleague went to Turkey and came back with a box of turkish delight. I remember when I was 11, reading CS Lewis's The Lion Witch and Wardrobe, a character was eating turkish delight. CS Lewis described it as if it were the most delicious sweet in the world. But my experiences with Turkish Delight was blah (Cadbury Dairy Milk's Turkish Delight and Arnott's Turkish Delight Tim Tams) So I was pretty excited when she came back with 2 boxes of Turkish Delight.

The first box was really good. It was Pistachio Turkish Delight. I think the crunchy and slightly salty pistachio nicely complemented the sweet and sticky turkish delight. And the whole sweet was covered with white icing sugar.

But the second box was less well received. It came in 4 flavours: Rose Strawberry, Mint and Lemon. I meant to take Strawberry but since I can't read Turkish, I picked the sweet in the pink wrapper thinking it was strawberry. It was Rose.
I popped the sweet in my mouth and the rose was OVERPOWERING! It was literally like popping an air freshener into my mouth! The flavour was strong - to the point where it hit my nose. Something like having an extra large serving of wasabi with your sashimi.
The mint flavour wasn't as strong as the rose. But generally, both flavours were really sweet and stuck-to-your-teeth-and-roof-of-your-mouth-sticky.

No comments: