Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Found a Gem!

I love the feeling of discovering a new place to eat. I have heard quite a bit about Eng Kee Seafood. So I was expecting quite a bit when I went there. I am so happy to say that the place has exceeded my expectations.

I went there on a Saturday night and the place was quite full. We called ahead to book and when we arrived, I only saw less than a handful of empty tables. After ordering, we were told that the wait for the food was going to be 45 minutes. Well, we had no choice but to wait. Boy, the food was really worth the wait!

My favourite was the artery clogging Salted Egg Yolk Crab! It is PERFECT! The dry/salty/powdery texture of the salted duck egg against the fragrant/tender/fried to perfection crab meat was excellent! And there were little bits of crumbs at the bottom (I have really no idea what it was) that was coated with the salted egg yolk sauce - oh heavenly!

Next best dish was the Marmite Chicken! WOW! Another power dish. The chicken was tender and juicy and the Marmite (and honey too I believe) glaze was a match made in heaven!

Next dish was a little lackluster against the crab and the chicken. It was some crispy roll stuffed with mushrooms, salted egg yolk, ham and prawns. I am not saying that it isn't tasty - it certainly was. For any other zi char, it might be THE star dish. But at Eng Kee, the other stuff were so good that this took a backseat.

The special char kway teow was quite good too. Again - this might be a star dish at a good restaurant. But at Eng Kee, its star wattage was outshone by other food! They were very generous with the seafood in the dish. But I personally found it a little too oily.

The silken & smooth toufu paired with savory minced pork was really yummy!

Lastly, the Crab Bee Hoon was another powerful dish!! The soup was really robust and delicious. Crab, succulent and flavourful. And the best part? Free flow of soup! Wow!

I'll certainly come back to this place and also recommend it to everyone!

No comments: