Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pascal's Wager

I had lunch with a atheist! And while he was challenging my faith, I realised that a new or shallow believer would be easily swayed by his arguments! How can a God who is omni-benevolent allow evil? How can a powerful God allow evil? And it amazes me how much he knew about the bible, and yet he chooses not to believe. Well, I know that some of the arguments are taken out of context, but I couldn't present my arguments coherently. But despite his challenges, I still believe and have faith in God. Just that I felt kinda disappointed in myself not being able to counter some of the arguments.

One interesting concept he introduced is the Pascal's Wager: Either God is; or He is not. Should man believe - given that man's finite wisdom and reason cannot prove the existence or non-existence of God. Pascal said that given these circumstances, a rational person would choose to believe. If he believes, and God exists, he gains eternal life. But if God does not exist, he gains and loses nothing. If he chooses not to believe and God does not exist, he gains and loses nothing. However, if God exists, he stands to lose everything from eternal condemnation in hell. Well, interesting concept but I don't think I want to use it to preach the word. Believing in God is to know that he died for my sins, loves me and has a plan for me in life. I choose to believe. Not coz I was cornered or reasoned into believing. And I place my faith in God because I know in my heart that He lives. But it was interesting to hear the Pascal's Wager. I wonder how many people believe cause of it and how their relationship with God would be.

Enough of these abstract philosophy. If I had enough money to throw, I would make me a suit jacket with a shoulder that is peaked! No more sloping shoulders. Makes a man look much smarter ya? Even when paired with full and baggy pants - he still looks smart as long as the jacket's trim and tailored.

No comments: